TEACHERS IN THE VALLEY

 Teachers in the valley


When I think of teachers, respect surfaces in my thought

Infused to my innocent mind were all the subjects they taught

I learned a lot from them, their pedagogy I need to bound

I enjoyed our plays and remembered our games on the ground

I consider them the pretty belles in the school of innocent kiddies

Lips with shades of red, different from those ladies in the valleys

I gazed them up and listened to them as the lesson of an hour began

I studied in advance, read my books to the middle pages, and scanned

I was the loveliest kid, and I was just five when I was in Grade one

They loved my wit, they taught me to declaim, and we had so much fun

The title that I performed on stage was "A daughter of a Politician."

It was somewhat funny, but proper lessons were there beyond

I stated the last line I uttered, which is now still so fresh in my mind.

"I'd rather be a daughter of a farmer than a daughter of a politician."

I was cheered, got a standing ovation as they clapped their hands

No one can be more proud of me than my mother and my teacher.

Oh, my mom has just left me, but still, I know for her I am so dear

And how about my beloved teachers, where are you now?

I hadn't seen you anymore; I wish to meet you somehow

You're supposed to listen to my speech on our school stage

You were not there to witness me performing with such a grace

I brought my sight around looking for one of my grand teachers 

Who was residing near the school, located just in the corner

 How is my Madame Ehing, and where is she living?

To my Grade 1 old teacher, it was her I was referring

They said she's just a few miles away and still in her old place

I wished to invite her, but she could no longer take a few steps

She should have seen the dazzling me on stage discoursing

But as an honorable guest speaker and no longer declaiming

She should be very proud of me, as I was her favorite

She's one who was molding me and made me this great 

I am so confident as she was the one who first believed!

It's just sorrow to accept the fact that in school one day they leave

The school, they called their second home, was no longer more

Sad that even the new teachers don't know their names anymore

They deserved to stay in our minds and dwell forever in our hearts

They've to be reminisced as in our success they're the requisite parts

They need to be adorned with love, honors, and admiration

They need to be saluted as they're the heroes of our nation

I am so missing each of you, my Sirs, and my Ma'ams

One day I'll see you, though how far, I wouldn't give a damn

I am full of gratitude, as you were a part of my growth.

The lessons you instilled in me, wherever I was, I brought.

I thank you, my dearest teachers, from my deepest core

Happy teacher's day, a greeting from the eagle that soars 


Helen Sarita




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AN INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY FIONA MCVIE (June 2016)

SUBSTANCE OF LOVE